As the old adage goes, everyone knows that you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover. This couldn’t be farther from the truth, however, when it comes to real estate and selling your home. First impressions are monumental, and a buyer has a lasting and indelible impression of your home, before he or she even walks through your front door.
In today’s competitive real estate industry, a lack of curb appeal isn’t only remiss; it can cost you the sale. Many of today’s Laguna Beach real estate buyers are looking for move in ready homes. If they see an unappealing or unattractive exterior, they are likely to keep on driving or write off your home as too much of a “fixer upper.”
When selling Laguna Beach real estate, the new norm is to stage your home, for the ultimate presentation. This can extend outside your front door, as well. When it comes to getting the best offer on your home, curb appeal means everything. An inviting garden, a welcoming porch, or a pop of color gets the buyers’ minds working, as they are already envisioning how their family would fit into your home.
The benefits of curb appeal will always far outweigh the cost, so it’s best to get the outside of your home in top shape – in order to get buyers through your door.
Best Curb Appeal Practices for Laguna Beach Real Estate
There are several things you can do, in order to increase the curb appeal and overall value of your home, including the following:
- Pay attention to your front entryway. It should be welcoming, clean, and free of clutter. Remove any dead potted plants and free up the walking space on your steps.
- Update the hardware and fixtures on your front door, and make sure they are in good working order.
- Make any necessary repairs to the entry way, such as cracked steps, and aging or dropping woodwork or fences.
- Replace or updated any outdated light fixtures. Consider replacing your mailbox and house numbers. These should be clearly visible from the street and easy to read.
- Hire a professional landscaping team to trim any bushes or trees that look unruly or hinder the view of your house.
- During the warmer months, you should stay on top of your lawn maintenance. Even in the colder months, which can prevent your grass from having a luscious green color that is so attractive to buyers, your lawn should be consistently cut and maintained.
- Plant beautiful and colorful flowers throughout your front yard and porch – nothing livens up an entry way better!
- Repaint, if necessary. Even just painting the trim or your front door can make a huge difference.
- Don’t forget about your driveway. Try to repair any cracks and remove any oil stains.
- Try to create a focal point in the backyard, such as a pool, fire pit, or BBQ area. Stage an outdoor table setting and seating area. This offers incredible visual appeal to buyers.
- Outdoor lighting is crucial if you plan to show your house at night. Solar garden lights make it easy for potential buyers to navigate walkways, and portable outdoor lamps can help illuminate your home.
- Don’t forget to clean and update any other outdoor areas, such as patios, terraces or balconies.
The importance of curb appeal is undeniable, and can’t be stressed enough.
Prospective homebuyers will often do a “drive by,” whether virtually or in person, to help them narrow down the best prospects, as well as quickly eliminate any undesirable options. The attention to your home’s curb appeal can actually influence your buyers as much, if not more, that staging the interior of your home.
When it comes to properly staging your home and the importance of curb appeal, Laguna Beach is no different than any other market. Making small changes and adjustments to the exterior of your home to increase its curb appeal will pay off exponentially – in more interested buyers, a higher offer, and a faster selling time.
About Laguna Coast Real Estate
When it comes to Laguna Beach real estate, no one knows this market like we do.
Founded in 2006, Laguna Coast Real Estate is a full service, boutique brokerage that operates on the principles of integrity, collaboration, and innovation. We are an award winning, full service realty firm that specializes in the marketing of premier residential properties, as well as luxury coastal rentals along the Laguna Coast.
We strive to offer each of our clients the best in customer service, and would love the opportunity to show you the difference working with the right realty firm makes.
If you’re ready to your list your home and need some direction, then we would love to help. Start by getting a FREE home valuation for your property.